From: Curtis Clifton  <cclifton@a...>
Date: Thu Jan 9, 2003 0:14pm
Subject: Re: ToDo Free for 4 months

Griff,

On Thursday, January 9, 2003, at 02:10  AM,
shadow-discuss@yahoogroups.com wrote:

>> I've been using just Shadow for all my ToDo management since
>> September.
>>   To make this work I had to put all my ToDo items in one master
>> list.
>> That lets me use filters to get at all of today's tasks (this
>> week's
>> tasks, etc...).  My basic outline structure is:
>

> How has this worked speedwise?  I know one of the concerns of having
> one big list was that it would cause Shadow to slow as it loads and
> saves big lists.
>
> Thanks for writing, I'm glad to hear of someone who's been working
> like this and working well with it.

I began using this approach on a TRG Pro.  The speed there was
tolerable, though I was careful to "delete selected items checked
children" occasionally.  (Basically I did this for my misc. tasks every
week.  For projects I left the tasks until project completion and then
moved the whole project tree to another file for posterity.)  I've been
running on a Tungsten T since November.  It's so insanely fast that I
don't notice any delays for anything.  I do see the progress bar during
file saves, but not for long enough to read the text.

I'm not using the GTD system.  Though from my lurking here it sounds
like GTD is quite similar to the First Things First approach [Covey,
Merrill, & Merrill] that I do use.  That is, weekly planning to review
previous week and focus on the next week, scheduling time for important
tasks, categorizing tasks.  In First Things First the categorization is
based on life roles rather than @Phone, @Email, etc..., though I'm
considering incorporating the location info. as well.

I use a half dozen custom filters on a regular basis along with
highlighting of "due" items (in bold face, red text).  I'm very much
looking forward to highlighting by custom filter, esp. if multiple
highlights can be displayed at once.

-- Curt
8702