From: Jeff Mitchell  <support@s...>
Date: Thu Sep 19, 2002 0:39pm
Subject: Re: Re: Help test my potential new website

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Ken Latham wrote:

> Would you rather I trash the poll?

	I am interested inthe results; its just not somethign I'd post
myself ;) (see, I can play both sides of the fence ;O

	The trick for me is a question of going over the edge; I could
easily just shift how I do things. Then codejedi woudl be a company like
any other. However, I have always tried to keep humanity in there. Of all
my day jobs and contract work, I've only ever seen soulless companies, or
good companies become soulless. I will resist that.

	So, I *could* milk everyone, and it'd probably be good
economically... but it might be soulless.

	I could charge for support, but I know *I* hate claling up a
support line and hearing "this will be $5/minute to talk to
Handspring" that sort of thing. Thats evil.. when people need help, they
dont' need to be beaten up, or worried about hanging up. So I support via
email, and I try and bet there when people need me. So charging seems
lame. (Its all about how I feel when I've tried dealing with other
companies.. so I try and give back what I always wanted ;)

	Charging for modules could be the way to go, though a plugin
system is extremely complex for this sort of application.

	One advantage to my current arrangement.. one pay item as it
were.. I work my schedule. Everyone gets a great deal, so I can afford to
spend 2 months focusing on dealing withlegal bullshit and not working on
Shadow Desktop, because I have to, and because your'e not paying a monthyl
subscription or yearly subscription. IF you paid for a $0/year or
something, then wouldnt' you demand a certain level of output for that
year to make it worthwhile?

	Sure, I produce like a maniac for a couple of months, then I get
burnt out and sit for a bit, then I spew it out again. But I do it at a
pace I can keep up with, pay the bills, and enjoy my family time..

	Course, I work a lot of contract work right now (don't we all have
two jobs :P), especially due to all these companies not paying up on what
they owe me, and I'd really rather just work on Codejedi.. so bringing in
more would be cool. A donation line isn't appropriate, since few would use
it (and thus it'd be a waste for those who did), and it projects an image
of desparation, which I don't have.

	So, all in all.. it is likely I will raise the price of Shadow and
related in the future, and it is possible I may charge for modules (I've
not thought about it). The problem with charging for modules is one must
decide wehat goes in as modules and what goes in as application... if you
do everything as a module, you're ripping off your core, and if you do
everything as core, you're wasting your time with module support. *shrug*

	As in all things.. its never clear cut , especialy when you've got
a guily leader like me who doesn't want to become another soulless entity
on the net...

> My intent was to ensure that you knew just how much this software is
> really worth to us "out here".  I had some misgivings about
> over-emphasizing the added cost without your explicit permission, so I
> guess I'm asking after-the-fact.  Do you think I'm harming customer
> relations?

	Is there a way to edit the poll to make it clear its from a not-me
and not me?