From: Jeff Mitchell  <support@s...>
Date: Sat Aug 24, 2002 3:47pm
Subject: Re: Re: linking [was: So Close Yet...]

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, mcmug1997 wrote:

> > window, that puts a Shadow origin string into the clipbuffer, so
> > what you could paste it into other applications. This would only
> > be useful for
> > existing items (not new ones this session).
>
> Does the same limitation apply to shadow link? ie, it can't create a
> back link to new items?

	Let me clarify: when you set the "append origin" then origin info
will be added. When an item is brand new, it *may* get a "(0)" in its
origin, which is not enough for ShadowLinkHack to get back to the right
place.. however, it can get back to the right list. Once you've
opened/closed that list, however, the origin will be upated to the correct
info to get you back to that item. The limitation is simply that brand new
items are not yet "filed" per se, so do not have full origin info. Origin
info is generated before an item is fully written to storage, since
otherwise it'd be slow.. to file/write it out, read it back in and add
origin, and write it out again. Instead we just write it out with origin
info as available.