From: jacques@t...
Date: Fri Oct 26, 2001 2:47pm
Subject: Re: Re: two ehancements to support PPK

Le 25 Oct 2001, à 21:44, Yaakov Shlafman a écrit:

> First, yuo may use ESC @ to activate "popup lists only rotator" and this
> will save you 3 keystrokes.
>
> Second, write a script! ...give to the script
> a name consisting of a single accented letter (say, a with ^).  Typing ESC
> followed by that letter from keyboard will invoke the script immediately,

LapTopHack + pedit are awesome. But they weigh over 500k !
Is it worth, unless you need elaborate scripts ?

For menu shortcuts I prefer modify the menu ressource in prc (with
RscEdit). It takes 5 minutes at each release, but you don't spend more
bytes (and you don't even have an "escape" to key before with a ppk).

At each Shadow release I create like this five toggle shorcuts in List and
Go submenus, using the two column digits of FitalyStamp. Of course the
modified copy is private only. So I don't tout this ;-))

BTW :

What about (when time comes) a companion setup prc for Shadow where
you could customise as you like shortcuts in menus, buttons in toolbar,
even text button titles .... )

Jacques Turbé
___________________________
AVM! http://avm.free.fr
2402

> Le 25 Oct 2001, à 21:44, Yaakov Shlafman a écrit:
>
> LapTopHack + pedit are awesome. But they weigh over 500k !
> Is it worth, unless you need elaborate scripts ?

To me, yes!  First of all, I have been using pedit since its first release and
find it unreplaceable for my needs - it is a mature text editor with myriads of
useful features (no decorations, alas, i.e. no boldface, italic, underline,
superscript etc.).

> For menu shortcuts I prefer modify the menu ressource in prc (with
> RscEdit). It takes 5 minutes at each release, but you don't spend more
> bytes (and you don't even have an "escape" to key before with a ppk).
>
> At each Shadow release I create like this five toggle shorcuts in List and
> Go submenus, using the two column digits of FitalyStamp. Of course the
> modified copy is private only. So I don't tout this ;-))

Before LapTopHack, I did the same, but this always made me feel certain
discomfort:

first, I am reluctant to edit/patch executable code - what you call "just 5
minutes each release" turned into paranoidal nightmare for me :) as I was
alwais afraid that I might accidentally change something else without having
noticed that;

second, some of applications reside on the CF card on my TRGPro and in order to
edit their menu resources, I had to move the file to RAM, edit it and then move
it back to CF (last time I looked into it, RsrcEdit couldn't directly write to
CF);

third, with each new release of a product I need edit the .prc file again and
again - even if the menu remains the same between releases - quite boring,
IMHO.

LapTopHack scripting is quite powerful. For example, it lets me define whole
new commands, by combining pushing several buttons and other controls with text
entry and even taps and strokes into single script.  E.g. I have one to fill my
expense report with some predefined entries (including date stamp formatted in
a non-standard manner) - ceveral cells are filled at once.  Another script
takes selected text and launches lookup in the Noah dictionary.  Yet another
launches global Find, enters some specific string for search and hits OK.

> BTW :
>
> What about (when time comes) a companion setup prc for Shadow where
> you could customise as you like shortcuts in menus, buttons in toolbar,
> even text button titles .... )
>

> Jacques Turbé

Not feasible, I am afraid.

-- Yaakov.