From: Dash  <just1dash@y...>
Date: Fri Aug 31, 2001 0:16am
Subject: Re: Linking inside a file

> 	5) The master item will not know it has clones. Or maybe it
will
> know, but it definitely will not know where they are. So the master
cannot
> jump to children (could be any number of them, all over the durned
place),
> and the children *can* jump to the master.

Even if you could not jump to the clones, if you checked any of the
related items off would this result in all the others being checked
off as well?  It would be ok  to preserve the distinction between
links and clones that Rick makes, but this interaction between clones
and parents (check one, you check them all) is the key functionality
that I am looking for.

This may sound terribly complicated, but would it be possible for
parents and clones to be bi-directionally aware of their own parent
and immediate clone?  If implemented properly, this would allow daisy
chaining of clones and checking any item in the chain would
cascade "upstream" and "downstream" like dominoes. I suppose that
Rick's comment about complicated recursions would come into play, but
most people are unlikely to create chains more than a few items long.

I'm not sure that this would work from a programming standpoint
(that's your job!), but it makes conceptual sense.  Anyway, it's just
another idea to throw in the pot!
2102