From: kencn@a...
Date: Mon Aug 13, 2001 7:26pm
Subject: Re: Ever considered in-place editing?

Mason,

I don't think it's necessary to give up drag-and-drop if you want in-
place editing.  Take a look at the way Bonsai handles it.  They seem
to have the smoothest interface in this particular area.  The
downside is that you have to drag the item by the bullet - you can't
just tap anywhere on the item - and you have to tap the details
button at the bottom of the screen to 'open' an item.

For me there are two aspects to in-place editing that I like. First,
data entry is much more steamlined when most of what you're entering
is text (not priorities, dates, links, etc.).  For instance when I'm
just creating an outline of a document vs a project plan.  In some
cases I've even started my outlines in memopad or wordsmith since I
can very quickly enter a bunch of text with tabs for indentation and
then just import it into Shadow later.

The other aspect is seeing context - knowing what other entries in
the outline contain when entering text.  This is where the small data
entry window Jeff suggested would come into play.  This is the way
BrainForest did it and it seems like a reasonable compromise.

Of course, while I may like the way Bonsai handles text input best
and Brainforest next best, I'm still using Shadow Plan.  Just too
much other great stuff I couldn't give up.

Ken

--- In shadow-discuss@y..., Mason Curry <mcurry@h...> wrote:
> I'd like to be able to edit text right there in place, but not at
the
> expense of drag-and-drop.  That's what really makes it easy to get
the
> outlines organized the way I want them.
>
> Mason
1902