From: glacefield@v...
Date: Wed May 30, 2001 6:24pm
Subject: Re: Multiple item types in one list..

> 	If its *really* a good idea, then I'll do it; I've found
> that very few people use the tap-and-hold detail mini view, and I'm
> not sure if thats because its hard to find, or if its because its
> not useful.

I'll admit, I myself use this feature only occasionally.  But that's
because I usually don't have a great need to view the details, since
I usually customize my view to see most of the details on the main
screen.  Conversely, nearly *everyone* (except for the Graffiti
users :-) uses "New" to create new items.  I think tap-and-hold here
would be used much more often.

> It might be easier to do it for buttons, since you have to do it
> and keep the pen in the button (whereas on my tree view widget,
> you can tap and hold and I have to worry about sliding aroudn to
> drag and drop, and other issues so is more complex).

Makes a lot of sense.

> 	ie: You hit new, tap and hold for 1s (or 2s; can't do 1.5s
> easily) and then a popmenu shows up and you lift the pen, and tap
> a view type. Or just hit new and tap top right and pick the view
> type. The latter current method is faster (no waiting), though is
> an extra tap...

I like 1 sec rather than 2. The longer count makes sense for the tree
view because of the varying operations that can take place, like you
mention.  But when "New" is tapped, the user's intentions are pretty
clear, and holding for longer than 1 second here would seem an
eternity. I don't think you would run into problems with users
accidentally holding for 1 second when they want the default type; at
least *my* taps aren't *that* persistent. :-)

I also prefer hold vs. traversing the pen the diagonal distance of
the screen to bullseye the "V" target; localizing the type selection
to the creation tap seems more intuitive to me.  But other users may
think differently.

Just knowing that you're considering it is encouraging. :-)

Greg
1002