Help and FAQ
How To Play
Atari Rare Machines Wiki
OutcaST -- Portable Atari ST for gp2x and Gp2x Wiz!!
The Atari ST computer has a special place in my heart -- one of
the first halfway modern GUI and mouse based computers with a
megabyte of RAM, it was an excellent machine to hack around on.
Serious desktop publishing software brought it into the office,
built in MIDI ports and an early laptop format made it very
popular with musicians, and a fun 'scene' brought it many
groundbreaking 'demos' and games (with a large proportion of RPGs and
shooters if I do say so myself) -- truly, it was "Power Without the
I "cut my teeth" on the Atari ST, walking miles and miles to find the
(only) local Atari store to buy games and utilities with my entire
pay cheque, and generally did a lot of keen hacking around. Ran
(and wrote a FidoNet system!) a BBS for most of a decade, wrote a
lot of assembly, GFA Basic and
C code, and really just got into the "scene" while working as a
salesman for Atari at a local store.
OutcaST is the ultimate way to pass your time and relive
the good old days!
Don't know what to play? See here..
OutcaST for GP2X
OutcaST/gp2x has a whacky heritage, being essentially a port of
parts of my GP32, PSP and Palm OS versions, though theres a number of
changes going on along the way :) Furthermore, I'll be adding
options for invocation of other ST emulators - Hatari, STonX and my
own ST emulator. Theres a lot of crazyness going on, so do reload
the page on occasion!
- OutcaST/wiz release 004! Fixes the sticky joystick so plays very well; adds basic directory browsing so you can put disk images in subdirs now.
- OutcaST/wiz release 003! Nearly to the level of the venerable gp2x release; just a few nits to fix up. Runs great!
- OutcaST/gp2x release 010! Mouse hack is now a togglable setting in the Mouse Speed submenu; watch this space for another update soon, with configuration files and more options (overclocking, etc.)
- OutcaST/gp2x release 009! Getting back into the swing of things; some new fonts and themes on the menus, and the mouse-hack a little more formalized (defaulting on!)
- OutcaST/gp2x release 008! Hopefully just fixed a few little things, and added a new control mode to make Dungeon Master (and others) more playable.
- OutcaST/gp2x release 007! Insane number of new features, fixes and changes; better audio, more fine tunable controls, better handling. All beef flavour.
- OutcaST/gp2x release 005! Fixed the ST-medium resolution colours, and added some joystick biasing modes to make controls better
- OutcaST/gp2x release 004! Beta or release quality now; MSA supported, volume controls work, quitting works, games database in picker works, and more!
- OutcaST/gp2x release 003! Really coming along - sound is clearing up nicely (though samples are still rough), virtual keyboard is in and a lot of things cleaned up.
- OutcaST/gp2x release 002! Another alpha; playable for some games (Xenon 2: Megablast!), but with bad sound and missing virtual keyboard. Save and loadstates work, throttling is in, menus are better, things are improving!
- OutcaST/gp2x release 001! The first early-alpha; playable for some games (Xenon 2: Megablast!), but with bad sound, missing virtual keyboard, no savestates. But its alive! Check back in a day or two for version 002 ;)
- OutcaST/gp2x v001 Xenon 2:Megablast screenshot
CaSTaway/GP32 for Gamepark 32 and others
I've another page for GP32 works; see the GP32 page here; or for the other CaSTaway
builds for Sony PSP and Palm OS, hit up the CaSTaway page
PeBo, the author of this game of "Sorry" ported to the Atari ST,
got ahold of me in the CaSTaway message board here - very cool.
Its interesting that a few ST game authors have gotten ahold of me
over the years, and I am honoured :) He's donated his game to the
cause, so in the name of preservation I'm keeping a copy here and
will try to get it posted around to the remaining crack-groups
and websites :)
By request I've turned up a donation box in the webstore; I
build all of my free software to help support the communities I'm
a proud member of, but feel free to help pay the bills of a self
employed coder :)
Screenshots, Message Board, BBS...
Other Downloads, Links, and Forums